Return to Work Consultations and Coaching
Customized Support Through the Next Big Transition
Most new mothers find themselves anxiously anticipating their return to work following maternity leave. A majority of mothers in the US face this daunting transition back to work or school while baby is only several weeks of age and while they themselves are only beginning to settle into life as a new mother. Every mother and baby’s breastfeeding relationship is unique and every woman’s return to work offers unique challenges. Questions abound regarding how to maintain work life balance while preserving and maintaining breastfeeding, protecting the milk supply and guaranteeing that baby continues to thrive. And all of this comes at a time when women may not yet feel as though they are on solid footing with the current day to day life with baby. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to manage the back to work transition. I am experienced in supporting women to navigate this passage. My clients have included doctors, lawyers, teachers, financiers, psychologists, research scientists, IT specialists, chefs, CEOs, and students.
Breastfeeding is in its essence a relationship. For a relationship to be functional and sustainable it needs to work and be satisfying for all involved parties. My job is to help you achieve this balance so that you can return to work with confidence while maintaining your breast health and milk supply and ensure that baby is thriving. To achieve this requires a comprehensive assessment of your current situation and detailed discussion of your employment dynamics and childcare plan. I will assess your current feeding situation and provide you with a back to work plan customized specifically for you and your baby.
Sessions typically run approximately 2 hours with you and your baby during which time I will:
- Take a complete medical and feeding history including discussion of your baby’s sleep pattern.
- Observe a feeding and weigh your baby to determine intake at the breast to the nearest 0.1 oz.
- Identify your baby’s 24-hour intake requirement and quantify average intake per feed.
- Identify and quantify any required or desired supplemental feeds.
- Discuss your specific work situation, schedule, concerns and goals.
- Discuss options and strategies for optimized milk expression and how to create a “stash” of stored milk, including targeted daily pumping goals.
- Provide guided instruction on pumping techniques to ensure proper pump flange fit and optimize efficiency and comfort.
- Discuss best practices for storage and handling of human milk and “life hacks” that will simplify and streamline your pumping experience.
- Craft a customized written care plan to get you moving in the direction of your goals that balances your needs with the needs of your baby and family.
- Set up follow up phone conversations to answer additional questions and provide ongoing support as you move through the back to work transition.
Follow up phone support is included with your paid fee. Payment is required at the time of service. I accept payment by cash, check, or credit/debit card.