What about my privacy?
Important Information About Your Information
Personal Information I Collect
Andrea Jorgensen-Perry, IBCLC may collect personal information such as contact information, including name, mailing address, phone number and email address that you provide when you sign up for emails or request information.
How I Share Information
I may share your personal information with corporate and/or third-party affiliates to carry out transactions you request.
Disclosure of Information
We may disclose specific information in compliance with law enforcement, fraud prevention, or other legal action; as required by law or regulation. Such disclosure is necessary to protect the interests or safety of our web site visitors, guests, my company or others.
My Blog and Outside Links
Contact by Email, HIPAA and my PHI
HIPAA stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- HIPAA was passed by the U.S. government in 1996 in order to establish privacy and security protections for health information.
- Most popular email services (ex. Hotmail®, Gmail®, Yahoo®) do not utilize encrypted email.
- When I send you an email, or you send me an email, the information that is sent is not encrypted. This means a third party may be able to access the information and read it since it is transmitted over the Internet. In addition, once the email is received by you, someone may be able to access your email account and read it.
- Email is a very popular and convenient way to communicate for a lot of people, so in their latest modification to the HIPAA act, the federal government provided guidance on email and HIPAA.
- The information is available in a pdf (page 5634) on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website ‐ http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR‐2013‐01‐25/pdf/2013‐01073.pdf
- The guidelines state that if a patient has been made aware of the risks of unencrypted email, and that same patient provides consent to receive health information via email, then a health entity may send that patient personal medical information via unencrypted email. By sending an email to Andrea Jorgensen-Perry, IBCLC via this website, I acknowledge and accept the use and inherent risks associated with unencrypted email and my personal health information (PHI) and authorize Andrea Jorgensen-Perry, IBCLC to send my PHI via unencrypted email.
I am happy to provide you with a written summary of my HIPAA Privacy Practices. You can request this information by phone by calling 781-445-2132 or by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy electronically.